Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Brown girl dreaming


                  In the beginning of “brown girl dreaming” the way it is written is cool and new and exciting to read but as the story goes on it starts to become tiresome and annoying. The writing style of this book seems to play around too much and is almost distracting and causes your reading to slow. The format is almost set up to slow you down when in reality that’s not what we want. When I read a book I like to get deep into chapters on chapters of good solid uninterrupted reading and I like to power through the book and get as much information as I can when this seems like its “speed bumping” us through the book and it gets frustrating when you can’t really get into a groove and it is harder to stay focused and pay attention because of the awkward formatting. As far as the content goes this book is one of a kind and really something special. This book from start to finish was jam packed full of important needed information. The book covers so many important topics that were around in the late 60’s and early 70’s and some of which are still relevant today. The way the author describes the south and its diversity is so vivid and clear the reader is left feeling like we are standing next to her during some of the events that happen in this story. The author had an interesting past with growing up in the south in a diverse town and during a lot of civil rights movements, and being raised in such a melting pot of diversity she uses how she was raised and where she was raised to become an unbelievably talented writer.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, it is like the writer wants you to slow down while reading Brown Girl Dreaming. I do think that was the writer's purpose so the reader really can grasp her words in each stanza. Nice job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete